There are a number of exciting funding and grant opportunities for nurses. We will update this list as new opportunities are released.
Barbers Company Clinical Nursing Scholarship
The Barbers’ Company Clinical Nursing Scholarship is to enable nurses/midwives making a career in clinical practice to undertake further education. The Scholarship of up to £10,000 is offered for the fees or subsistence of a nurse/midwife normally undertaking a Masters or PhD programme relevant to nursing/midwifery in an academic department in the United Kingdom.
Pre-Doctoral clinical academic fellowship (PCAF)
Pre-doctoral Clinical Academic Fellowships (PCAF) fund personalised programmes of academic training that equip awardees with the skills and experience to access doctoral-level funding, and give dedicated time to prepare an application for a competitive, peer-reviewed doctoral level research training fellowship.
The PCAF is a two year award (or can be taken up part-time over 30 or 40 months) during which you will split your time equally between your clinical position and the academic training funded through the award.
Alternatively, you can undertake academic training on a full-time basis and complete the award in 12 months.
As an applicant, you can request up to 20% clinical development time paid for through the award (this would constitute part of the academic training time).
The Clinical Doctoral Research Fellowship (CDRF)
The Clinical Doctoral Research Fellowship (CDRF) scheme funds registered healthcare professionals to undertake a PhD by research and, concurrently, to undertake further professional development and clinical practice.
The CDRF is a three year award (up to six years part time), approximately 80% of which you will spend working academically over the course of the fellowship. The remaining 20% of fellowship hours will be spent devoted to clinical practice and professional development.
Our personal research training award offers funding to cover your salary costs, PhD tuition fees, the costs of an appropriate research project, and the costs of tailored clinical and academic training programmes.
Winston Churchill Memorial – travel grant
At the heart of a Fellowship is a period spent travelling overseas to meet the leading practitioners and visit the most innovative projects in your chosen topic. We provide a travel grant for you to do this. We also provide advice and assistance, before and after your travels, to help you make the most of their potential.
The grant will cover all the costs of 4-8 weeks’ travelling. You can visit more than one country and more than one continent. Typically, Fellows travel for six weeks to two or three countries, sometimes breaking the journey into two trips. The amount of the grant is based on the itinerary you submit in your application and is calculated individually, depending on the needs of the project, such as duration and destinations. Our aim is that all travel-related costs will be covered by the grant.
Open for applications in 2020 from 30 April to 15 September
Burdett Trust – Small grants programme
Under this programme grant funding will range from £2,000 to £8,000. Grants will be for one-off sums; no repeat or multi-year funding will be made. Grants can be paid in advance of expenditure being required, but all funds must be fully spent for the agreed purpose within nine months of receipt or returned to the Trust.
Applicants are asked to fill in an application form online via the Trust’s website. There is no closing date in operation. Applications will be received and assessed continually during the year and the Trust aims to process grants within six weeks of receipt, although on occasion the process may take longer.
Call for proposals
The Burdett Trust for Nursing is a charitable organisation that makes grants to nurses, midwives, health visitors and allied health professionals for projects that will improve patient care. The Trustees are pleased to announce their first 2020 grant programme.
Safeguarding Service Users from Abuse and Harm: Restrictive Interventions, Restraint, Physical Controls and Restrictive Practices – grants of £20k to £100k
The closing date for applications is midnight, 1 February 2020.
Coming in Spring 2020
The worshipful company of needlemakers – up to £1000
RCN foundation conference grants – up to £500 for people who have been accepted to present work at nursing conference
RCN Foundation professional bursary scheme – up to £5000 a year
Leathersellers Company – a one-off grant of £2,500 to support you as you study an undergraduate nursing degree.
To apply for this grant, you’ll need to be:
- Starting or already enrolled on a UK undergraduate nursing degree with an eligible start date
- Starting or already enrolled on a full time course
- In any year of the degree programme