- On 1st September 2017 there were 1494 substantive gastroenterologists and hepatologists in the UK, a 1.6% expansion from 2016. Mean expansion is unchanged in the last 10 years
- 54% of advertised consultant posts in 2016 – 2017 were unfilled suggesting expansion is less than it could be.
- 21% of consultants were female and 13% of all consultants worked LTFT
- It is predicted we need an additional 140 WTE consultants working 11.5PAs aweek which could be achieved in 2 years.
- Mean WTE PAs worked per week were 12.13 (contracted 11.22), LTFT 9.23(contracted 8.60)
- There are 698 Higher Specialty Trainees (609 NTNs) in gastroenterology andhepatology in the UK. 106 CCTs were awarded in gastroenterology and/or hepatology between 1st October 2017 and 30th September 2018.
- In 2018 recruitment into ST3 NTNs was 100% although competition ratios arefalling
- The numbers of applicants for CMT has increased by 7% in 2018, but this is felt toreflect that this is the last year of CMT training before IM training is rolled out
- There are 1,937 doctors holding a licence to practice on the General MedicalCouncil Specialist Register in gastroenterology and/or hepatology in the UK on 1st September 2018
Dr Charlotte Rutter