The annual BSG Clinical Services and Standards (CSSC) survey is sent out to all gastroenterology units in the UK. The aim is to produce a snapshot of what services look like around the country on an annual basis to provide longitudinal data, hopefully showing improvements with time. It is hoped that this will act as a driver for local service improvements.
- There were slightly more responses in 2019 compared to 2018, 101 vs 92.
- Average number of gastroenterologists per hospital is 8.8, with little change compared to 2018.
- There is an average of 1 Consultant vacancy in each hospital.
- 87% of hospitals provide out of hours endoscopy for acute upper GI bleeding, slightly higher than 80% in 2018.
- In 23% of hospitals, gastroenterologists fully participate in unselected medical take, which is a similar figure compared to 2018.
- 74% of hospitals provide a gastroenterologist of the day/week/month service.
- More hospitals are providing FIT testing in 2019, 55% compared to 34% in 2018.
- More hospitals are providing weekend endoscopy lists and outpatient clinics compared to 2018, e.g. endoscopy lists are provided on Saturdays in 61% and Sundays in 35%.
- More patients with alcohol use disorders are admitted under gastroenterology compared to 2018; 36% vs 28%.
- There were some differences between university teaching hospitals and district general hospitals: University hospitals were less likely to have no applicants for posts, less involved in the acute unselected take but more had a gastroenterologist of the day/week/month service; more likely to introduce FIT testing, offered more weekend endoscopy lists, clinics and specialist rounds; and have separate liver and luminal teams for inpatients.
- Dr Tony C. K. Tham MB BCh BAO, MD, FRCP, FRCPI, Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist, Ulster Hospital, Dundonald, Belfast
- Dr Andrew C. Douds MB, BS, MD, FRCP, CCST, Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King’s Lynn
- Dr Rupert A. J. Ransford MBBS, MRCGP, MD, FRCP, Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist, County Hospital, Hereford
- Simone Cort, BSG Officer, CSSC
- Jane Munday, Data Analyst