The British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG) Network, Supporting Women in Gastroenterology (SWiG), notes and endorses the strong statement of concern from the Royal Colleges of Physicians and Surgeons on the disadvantage to female doctors of the proposed new junior doctor contract. Every effort must be made to retain and attract the female workforce to the NHS, and in particular to specialities where demand for doctors is outstripping supply. In specialities such as Gastroenterology, where there are pre-existing difficulties of female recruitment, further exacerbating gender inequality as suggested within the new junior doctor contract threatens a sustainable future for the speciality and its ability to continue to deliver high-quality patient care.
The Network strongly supports a reappraisal of the contract with specific reference to its disproportionate impact on women in medicine.
Notes to Editors
- Please find the full joint statement from the Royal Colleges of Physicians and Surgeons here: https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/news/rcp-and-rcs-joint-statement-publication-junior-doctors-contract-and-equality-analysis
- Please find the statement from Medical Women's Federation here: http://www.medicalwomensfederation.org.uk/about-us/news-blogs-competitions/432-mwf-response-to-equality-impact-assessment
- Please find the junior doctors' 2016 contract here: http://www.nhsemployers.org/juniordoctors
- Please find the junior doctor contract equality analysis here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/junior-doctors-contract-equality-analysis-and-family-test
- The BSG launched the Supporting Women in Gastroenterology (SWiG) Network in 2014, with the primary aim of defining the key problems of recruitment of women to the specialty and to establish a scheme for coaching and mentoring within the Society. Further information on the Network can be found here: http://www.bsg.org.uk/swig/about/details-of-the-swig-project.html
- For further information, please contact the BSG's press office on 020 7563 9993 or firstname.lastname@example.org