- There are 1041 gastroenterologists across the UK, a 5.2% expansion on last year.
- It is predicted that we need 6.1 full-time consultants per 250,000 population, a total of 1980, or 939 more. This is achievable over the next 7 years at 7% expansion, the trainees are planned for.
- For the next 4 years there are a potential 100 CCT holders in excess of predicted retirements.
- It is appropriate not to increase the total number of training posts now to avoid a further increase in trainees above this who would gain CCTs around 2018.
- It is predicted that we will have an excess of CCT holders over posts available given the current rate of expansion of around 5% over the next few years.