Occasionally, non-members will be required to incur expenses whilst they are on BSG authorised business. BSG defines a ‘business expense’ as an expense that can be reimbursed on the basis that it has been incurred in connection with a BSG member’s duties. Details of expenses that can be reimbursed are contained within this policy. It is essential that these expenses are justified, reasonable in amount, properly documented and incurred in accordance with this policy.
This policy applies to all speakers at BSG events who are non-members of the BSG. It does not cover contractors, members or payments to suppliers.
BSG will reimburse speaker expenditure if it is directly attributable to the BSG event they are speaking at, on the premise that it is in accordance with the following policy principles:
- Speakers are asked to choose the most appropriate means of transport, with a view to minimise costs.
- The BSG standard mileage rate is 40p per mile.
- When booking travel (particularly flights, hotels, trains and car hire), speakers should ensure that they book as far in advance as possible.
- Receipts should be provided and uploaded to Spendesk.
BSG Annual Meeting
- Speakers will be provided with complementary registration for the duration of the conference.
- Speaker travel and accommodation will be reimbursed in line with their invitation letter.
Other BSG courses and events
- Faculty / speaker travel can be reimbursed at the BSG standard rate.
- Faculty meals and accommodation should be reasonable and only claimed as expenses when appropriate for the event schedule.
- Speakers for the Trainees Education and Leadership and Management Weekends should notify the organisers prior to the event if they need accommodation and it will be provided for them.
Non-member attendance at BSG committee meetings
- Non-members can be reimbursed at the BSG standard rate if they have been invited by the Chair, or if on-going attendance is expected. Non-members should join BSG.
- If a non-member asks to attend, they must cover their own expenses.
- Claims should be made through the BSG website via Spendesk. To set up a Spendesk account, please email email@example.com detailing what you will be claiming for and the name of the event.
- Expenses must be submitted in a timely manner and receipts produced.
- Claims will be paid by BACS on a weekly basis.