Last Updated on
Laurent Beaugerie heads the Saint-Antoine IBD centre in Paris. He is Professor of Gastroenterology at Sorbonne University and past-president of the national French Society of Gastroenterology
In the early 200s, he initiated and coordinated the French observational CESAME cohort, which aimed to better understand and prevent all cancers related to IBD and/or to immunosuppressive treatments. With the Saint-Antoine tertiary care centre team, he is engaged in clinical research on natural history and complications of IBD. He is currently compiling data from various data sources for assessing the mid and long-term benefit-risk ratio of immunosuppressive therapy in IBD. He is also Head of the Scientific Committee of I-CARE, a European prospective observational cohort on IBD outcomes.
- Beaugerie L, Itzkowitz SH. Cancers complicating inflammatory bowel disease. N Engl J Med 2015;372:1441–1452.
- Lemaitre M, Kirchgesner J, Rudnichi A, et al. Association between use of thiopurines or tumor necrosis factor antagonists alone or in combination and risk of lymphoma in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. JAMA 2017;318:1679–1686.
- Beaugerie L, Brousse N, Bouvier AM, et al. Lymphoproliferative disorders in patients receiving thiopurines for inflammatory bowel disease: a prospective observational cohort study. Lancet 2009;374:1617–1625.
- Bourrier A, Carrat F, Colombel J-F, et al. Excess risk of urinary tract cancers in patients receiving thiopurines for inflammatory bowel disease: a prospective observational cohort study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2016;43:252–261.
- Biank VF, Sheth MK, Talano J, et al. Association of Crohn’s disease, thiopurines, and primary epstein-barr virus infection with hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. J Pediatr 2011;159:808–12.
- Annese V, Beaugerie L, Egan L, et al. European evidence-based consensus: inflammatory bowel disease and malignancies. J Crohns Colitis 2015;9:945–965.
- Long MD, Martin CF, Pipkin CA, et al. Risk of melanoma and nonmelanoma skin cancer among patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterology 2012;143:390-399.e1.
- Penn I. The effect of immunosuppression on pre-existing cancers. Transplantation 1993;55:742–747.