The Hopkins Endoscopy Prize is awarded every 2 years at the annual meeting on the recommendation of the Endoscopy Committee. The prize is awarded for the best submission regarding a technical innovation in the field of endoscopy, a new method using existing endoscopic equipment, or contribution to endoscopy research.
The successful recipient will be required to deliver a 30-minute lecture at the BSG Annual Meeting during the Endoscopy Session and will receive a framed certificate, as well as free registration for the conference and travel costs.
Entrants need not be a member of the Society and previous applicants are welcome to apply. The award is given once to any given individual, except in extraordinary circumstances and at the discretion of the BSG Endoscopy VP and committee. The Endoscopy Section reserve the right not to make an award if judges feel applications are not of sufficient merit.
The BSG will convene a panel of judges to review the applications independently. They will score out of the following criteria, giving a total score out of 20. Scores are then ranked, and the chief judge reviews all scores and feedback to determine a winner.
- The originality of work. Score from 0- 5
- Contribution to the advancement of clinical endoscopy. Score from 0 -5
- Contribution to the quality of endoscopy. Score from 0 -5
- Contribution to research/ literature / evidence. Score from 0 -5
How to apply
Please complete the application form here.
Below are the fields you’ll need to complete.
All applications must include the following:
- A manuscript (2 A4 pages ONLY) describing the work conducted
- A bibliography of relevant personal publications (100 words)
- An outline of the proposed content of the lecture, including title (300 words)
- A written statement confirming that all or a substantial part of the work has been personally conducted in the UK or Republic of Ireland
The next Hopkins Endoscopy Prize will be awarded at the 2022 annual meeting, applications will close on 7th February 2022.
The Vice-President of Endoscopy convenes a panel of 3 people who review the applications.
Previous winners of the prize
|2021||Prof Matt Rutter|
|2019||Prof David Sanders|
|2018||Dr Siwan Thomas-Gibson|
|2017||Dr Mark McAlindon|
|2016||Dr Kofi Oppong|
|2015||Prof Colin Rees|
|2014||Prof Hugh Barr|
|2013||Prof Pradeep Bhandari|
|2012||Dr Reena Sidhu|
|2010||Dr Krish Ragunath|
|2008||Dr James East|
|2006||Dr Matt Rutter|
|2004||Dr DP Hurlstone|
|2002||Prof CP Swain|
|2001||Prof GD Bell|
|2000||Dr DF Martin|
|1998||Dr GD Bell|
|1998||Mr JF Bladen|
|1996||Dr Brian P Saunders|
|1996||Dr CB Williams|
|1994||Dr C Choudan|
|1992||Dr CP Swain|
|1989||Dr DG Bell|
|1988||Dr Hugh Barr|
|1987||Dr TC Northfield|
|1983||Dr J Dawson|
|1982||Dr JDR Rose|
|1981||Dr HJ O’Connor|
|1981||Mrs J Rothwell|