Revalidation Report: June 2014
Tuesday, 03 September 2013 11:20
Simon Greenfield, Deputy Chair of the BSG Clinical Services and Standards Committee, attended a revalidation training day for advisers across all specialties at the RCOG on 24 June.
There was some useful advice that we wish to share with BSG members.
- Please check your GMC on line account to ensure your details are correct and in particular that your RO (responsible officer) details are correct.
- The recommendation to revalidate a doctor is predominantly based on your appraisal so it is important that you follow the GMC/RCP/local guideline process on appraisal.
- Appraisal will be "whole practice" so it is important that you include not just details of your NHS/private practice but any other relevant professional details as well - e.g. - medicolegal advice/crowd/club doctor etc.
- CPD will be one of the main pillars of the appraisal process - please diarise your CPD and try and reflect appropriately. Ideally you should use the on-line facility of your college but if you feel unable to do this then you should keep a paper diary.
- We had a solicitor speak to us. It is possible that doctors might mount legal challenges if they are not revalidated. Anyone involved in the appraisal process should inform their medical defence society - it should not affect your premium.
- Questions from members about appraisal will be directed to a central point of contact at the RCP. If they can not deal with the question it will be directed onwards to the BSG and then forwarded on to the BSG revalidation adviser as required. This process will hopefully ensure we build a data base of FAQs.